Prep time 2 hours 30
For the dough:
60g unsalted butter
50g granulated sugar
1 teaspoon or 1/2 packet active dry yeast
60ml warm water
2 large eggs lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
375g all-purpose flour
1 large egg whisked with splash of water
2 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
6 fresh rosemary sprigs
1 teaspoon sea salt
With the cold nights drawing in and the festive season near approaching, we have created a ‘festive baked cheese wreath’ - a mouth-watering recipe, perfect for a delicious appetiser, or as a showstopping centerpiece for hosting a Christmas party!
- Using a small saucepan, warm the milk over a medium heat until close to boiling point. This should take around 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the stove and add the butter and all but 1 teaspoon of the sugar. Stir until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- In the meantime, take the reserved teaspoon of sugar and combine with the warm water and yeast. Leave the mixture to sit for roughly 10 minutes until foamed. If the yeast mixture has not foamed, throw away and start again.
- Using a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer, combine, the milk mixture, yeast mixture, 2 eggs, salt, and half of the flour. Mix the ingredients together for roughly 5 minutes until smooth. Add the remaining flour and continue to mix until it starts to form a smooth ball that comes away from the side of the bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 10-15 minutes by hand or on high for 7 minutes using the stand mixer. Once kneaded, the dough should be elastic and smooth. Place in an oiled bowl, and pop in a warm place to allow the dough to prove. Leave for 1.5/2 hours until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough has proved, punch the dough down to release the air and transfer to a work surface. Divide the dough into 28-30 pieces and roll into balls (about the size of a golf ball).
- Using a large circular pan or pizza baking tray, place the cheese in the centre and surround with two layers of the dough balls. Using the remaining egg, brush the egg wash on to each of the dough balls. Finely chop 3 sprigs of rosemary and evenly sprinkle all over and add the sea salt.
- Bake in a preheated 190-degree celsius oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and puffed up. Remove from the oven and garnish with the pomegranate seeds and remaining rosemary sprigs. Carefully cut the lid of the cheese, serve and enjoy!