Deciding on the best combination of cheese for our indulgent Mac & Cheese recipe was a great source of debate in our team - there are sooo many great ones to choose from! We settled on the complex flavours of Westcombe Cheddar, combined with the creamy, silken melting qualities of Raclette - grating half of the Raclette cheese into the sauce and slicing the other half, with its rind left on for a deliciously golden topping.
We decided that 2020 calls for an additional dose of comfort, so we also stirred in 2 spoonfuls of our Minced Black Truffles. Follow our recipe below for the ultimate, indulgent Mac & Cheese...
(Serves 4 as a main course and 6 with other accompaniments)
- 350g Macaroni Pasta
- 50g Butter
- 50g Plain Flour
- 250g Westcombe Cheddar
- 250g Raclette
- 2 Tsp Minced Black Truffle
- 600ml Milk
- 100ml Single Cream
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C (365°F).
- Slice half of your Raclette (keeping the rind on) into 0.5cm thick slices which will fit on top of your dish.
- Grate the remaining Raclette and all of the Westcombe Cheddar and set aside for the sauce.
- Cook your Macaroni pasta in boiling water for approx. 6 minutes (or 2 minutes less than your packet requires).
- Melt your butter in the pan, remove from the heat and stir in the flour.
- Place the pan back on the heat and gradually add your milk and cream - stiring all the time until you have added all of the liquid and your sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the grated Westcombe and Raclette cheese to the pan and stir until melted.
- Stir in your 2 tsp of Minced Black Truffles (optional).
- Combine your cooked pasta with your sauce and pour into an oven-proof dish.
- Arrange your sliced Raclette on top of your cheesy mixture and place into your pre-heated oven.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes - or until the top is golden brown and bubbling.
- Enjoy with a fresh salad to balance the rich cheese flavours.