Taste this delicious Gorwydd Caerphilly recipe, perfect for your alfresco lunches and summer picnics. The fresh citrusy notes and crumbly texture of the cheese are perfectly contrasted by the piquant flavours and vibrant crunch of our Proper Piccalilli. Read on to find out how to make these mouth-watering tarts...
- 150g Gorwydd Caerphilly
- 4 large leeks
- 75g butter
- 250g double cream
- 125g milk
- 1/2 tsp flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100g Really Proper Piccalilli
- 150g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 3-inch pastry cutter
- Muffin tray tin
- Baking beans
- Baking parchment
- Take your pastry out of the fridge and allow to reach room temperature (roughly 45 mins).
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Roll out your pastry on a lightly floured surface until ½ cm thick.
- Using the pastry cutter, cut out 6 circles and place in muffin tin.
- Fill the pastry cases with parchment paper and baking beans and pop in the over for 15 minutes.
- Over a low heat, slowly melt the butter in a pan until fully melted.
- Finely slice the leeks and submerge them into the butter.
- Sweat the leeks until soft, then add the flour, milk, and cream. Carefully season with salt and pepper.
- Leaving the mixture over a low heat, cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, then remove from hob.
- Once the pastry cases have been in the oven for 15 minutes, remove the baking parchment and beans and place back in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Once the cases are out of the oven, place 1 tablespoon of piccalilli into each tart case.
- Add the leeks and crumble the Caerphilly evenly over the tarts.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese melts golden brown.
- Serve with dressed salad and enjoy!