(serves 6 in 5" ramekins)
- 1 pint milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 oz plain floor
- 1 oz butter
- 4 oz blue cheese (see recommendations below)
- 12 eggs
- Pinch of celery salt, pinch ground white pepper
- 1/2 stick celery finely chopped and sweated off
- 36 white raisins soaked in 50ml sweet sauternes wine, reduce in pan to evaporate
- Set aside 4fl oz of milk, and bring the rest to the boil with butter.
- Separate 10 eggs. Beat together for 1 minute 2 whole eggs with the 12 yolks.
- Stir flour into 4 fl oz of cold milk, mix the eggs, blue cheese and celery and pour in boiling milk and butter.
- Return the mixture to the pan and whisk over heat until it thickens.
- Brush ramekin dishes with butter, lightly dust with plain flour, empty out excess (to prevent mixture sticking).
- Place 6 raisins in each ramekin.
- Beat 10 egg whites until very stiff, then fold the beaten whites into the hot mixture.
- Fill each ramekin leaving 1/4 inch from top.
- Bake at 225° F for 25 minutes in a bain marie of hot water.
RECOMMENDED CHEESES: Blue d'Auvergne, Harbourne Blue
, Beenleigh Blue, Mature Stilton